The Director manages and supervises the activities of the Office of School Facilities, Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE). The director is responsible to administer statewide school facilities programs assigned to the Department by regulations, including review and approval of multi-year construction plans and the development of facilities guidelines and standards to ensure safe, sufficient and educationally effective school facilities across the State of Maryland. In addition, the position will support the provision of facilities to deliver programs aligned with Blueprint for Maryland’s Future such as Early Childhood Pre K-3 program and Career Technical Education.
SALARY: up to $136,233
- Review and comment on educational specifications and feasibility studies.
- Recommend approval/disapproval of schematic design, design development, construction document, contract award, and contract change order submissions.
- Represent MSDE on state committees.
- Review annual capital improvement requests.
- Review annual comprehensive maintenance plans.
- Develop and recommend policies and procedures.
- Speak at state and national conferences on state programs, facility standards, and guidelines.
- Review/prepare fiscal impact notes and testify on proposed state and federal legislation and regulations.
- Represent MSDE and/or the State of Maryland on interdepartmental committees and federal advisory groups.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a technical or engineering discipline such as Architecture, Engineering, Construction Project Management, or a related field.
Experience: Seven years of experience in facilities design, construction and planning, 3 years of which must include the direct supervision of other professional staff. Professional license in Architecture or Engineering is required.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s).
- Experience in Educational or K-12 facilities planning.
- Knowledge of construction codes and state and local regulations regarding building and planning of school buildings.
- Experience developing design guidelines/standards, facility program, or feasibility studies.
- Demonstrating strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to effectively connect with a broad collaborator group with varying degrees of functional expertise.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, prioritize and plan work activities while meeting respective deadlines.
- Experience reviewing and interpreting Legislation and determining impact.
- Experience in analyzing, examining and evaluating Public Policy.
FILING DEADLINE: 11/23/2022