John W. Hogg is one of the more obscure 19th century Baltimore architects with only 12 or possibly 13 projects documented for him.
John W. Hogg was born in 1813 and died on March 29, 1871. His parents were Charles (1784-1851) and Mary A. (1794-1871) Hogg.
His office was on Davis Street (1853-56), South Street (1860) and Baltimore Street (1867-71). Two projects are and were major 19th century projects: Evergreen (1858), the mansion between Loyola University and Notre Dame College on N. Charles Street; and the original Bay View Asylum (1860-66) now the site of Bay View–Johns Hopkins Hospitals in east Baltimore.
Several churches are documented to Hogg including the Deer Creek Harmony Presbyterian Church (1870) near Darlington in Harford County. Two other churches are competent projects indicative of the period: Exeter Street Methodist (1850, demolished) and the former Jackson Square Methodist (1866), now Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox, just off Broadway at Fairmount and Irvine Streets. There are dozens of similar churches of the time in Baltimore with their architects unknown; it is tempting to consider if they were also by John W. Hogg. The former Woodberry Methodist Church (1867), a large dark gray stone church in Woodberry highly visible from I-83 and now missing its spire, was by Hogg, a project on Edmund G. Lind’s own project list that he did not get.
George A. Frederick, in his Recollections (1912), remembered Hogg at the beginning of his own career in the early 1860s. The Bay View Asylum was the only project he mentioned.
Builders J. H. and John S. Hogg practiced in the same era and should not be confused with architect John Hogg. We do not know if they were related.
His first wife was Martha Ann (1819-1851). They had two daughters who died in infancy, Martha Ann and Anna Bell. A third daughter was Charlotte Ellen (1840-1921). A son was George G. Hogg (1842-1875) and his wife was Mary L. (1844-1923). William was another son.
His second wife was Susannah F. (1822-1908). They had three children, John W., Susannah and Frank.
Except for some of the children, these are buried in Green Mount Cemetery.